Last winter several members completed a safety study for the club. The report is linked here. Please pay special attention to page 9 as it lists the new requirements and recommendations for safety.
Some of the recommendations are for individuals or skipper. I wanted to get these out to the members in time to get prepared for fall sailing, which starts on September 11th. Please read the points below and take appropriate action.
- All competitors are strongly encouraged to carry both a safety whistle and a rescue knife in or tethered to their PFD.
- PRSA sailors are strongly encouraged to have a VHF radio on board for use in case of emergency.
- PRSA sailors are strongly encouraged to carry a cell phone (in a waterproof case) for emergency use.
- All vessels should have the following on board:
- an extra line suitable for towing
- a bucket or other appropriate device for bailing.
- PRSA sailors should assess the condition of their safety equipment (i.e., PFD’s) prior to the season and at regular intervals throughout the season, to ensure that they are in good condition and properly sized for the crews that will be sailing the boat.
Thank you again to the members who worked so hard on this study to put all this together.