Join the Potomac River Sailing Association to race in the largest one-design regatta on the Potomac with the National Capitol and monuments as a backdrop, and to carry on the tradition of competitive one-design racing that started with the 1934 President’s Cup! The 2021 PRSA President’s Cup Regatta will be held on September 18 & 19 at Washington Sailing Marina. Please visit the Regatta Website – https://www.regattanetwork.com/event/23128 – to view the NOR and register. All one-design classes 20 feet or under are invited.
This year we have a flat fee registration for each boat ($40 for regatta participation only). Please note that tickets for Saturday ‘s post-race BBQ are not included in the registration fee. BBQ tickets for Saturday evening for each person (skipper and crew, as well as any friends/family that might join you) must be purchased separately as part of your registration or via the “Online Storefront” area on the Regatta Network website. Please make sure to purchase BBQ tickets for your entire boat — skipper and crew — as well as any family/friends/visitors in advance so we can be sure to have sufficient food on hand!
Early registration ends on September 1, so register now to take advantage of the early registration discount and to let us know that you’ll be coming!
On June 26 DISC will be holding a “Three Bridges Fiasco” race on the Potomac & Anacostia. All PRSA boats/classes are invited. The race will take you to government marks near each of the 3 bridges that we can sail to, in any order of your choosing, after starting at Red N6 (in the river just north of Old Town Alexandria). The race will be scored using Portsmouth Yardstick Scoring.
Per the NOR and SIs, please contact DISC Officers via firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about DISC racing or these Race Instructions.
Our PRSA Spring Series starts on Sunday, April 11! Please make sure you’ve read through the following information and completed the necessary steps so that you are ready to get out on the water as our PRSA Spring Series starts.
- Sign the 2021 PRSA COVID-19 Acknowledgement of Risk & Waiver: https://forms.gle/xKAAkXm7gh7xZanB6. Although things are looking better, we are still in the midst of a COVID-19 pandemic and some areas (including some places in our own area) are seeing upticks in cases and community spread. All participance’s — competitors and RC members — are required to sign this waiver in order to participate in PRSA Activities. You must sign the new 2021 waiver (the prior waiver for fall 2020 and 2020-2021 frostbite racing is no longer applicable).
- Take note of a new federal requirement: effective April 1 a new federal law passed as part of the National Defense Authorization Act (which included a U.S. Coast Guard Reauthorization) requires a vessel operator to use either a helm or outboard lanyard or wireless engine cutoff switches (ECOS) when operating power boats under 26 feet in length. Please make sure to clip the cutoff lanyard to your life jacket when operating our skiffs.
As always, please feel free to reach out to your PRSA Executive Committee if you have any questions.
Thanks to PRO Jim Graham and his crew for running races! Here are the Fall Series #3 results:
Thanks to PRO Tom Hutton and his RC Crew for running races. Here are the Fall Series #1 results:
It was fantastic to enjoy some food and merriment with so many of our sailors at the 2019 PRSA Annual General Meeting and Awards Banquet. Please find below links to the material presented during the meeting. Congratulations to our perpetual awards winners (listed below) and to our new PRSA Executive Committee (listed below). Many thanks to our outgoing officers for their hard work and for their service to PRSA.
2019 PRSA Perpetual Awards
- Founder’s Trophy: Yates Dowell
- Fleet Captain’s Award: Aaron Boesenecker
- Nabeel Alsalam Award: Michael McConnell
- Yates Dowell III Award: Angie Darrah
- Katherine Kearst Award: Daphne Byron
- Len Penso Award: Barney Harris
- Norman C. Shaller Award: David Beckett
2020 PRSA Executive Committee
- Commodore: Tom Hutton
- Vice Commodore: Stew Harris
- Rear Commodore: Aaron Boesenecker
- Secretary: Kyra Tallon
- Treasurer: Jeff Neurauter
2019 AGM Presentation Slides
2019 PRSA Racing Award Winners
Great weather two weeks in a row at the end of the fall series is virtually unheard of on the Potomac, but that is what we had for the final fall series race day of 2019! PRO Frank Gallagher and his RC crew got us 3 nice races in a moderate southerly. Temps in the mid-50s meant that it wasn’t too chilly to stick around for a post-race BBQ and beer. What a great way to wrap up the season!
Albacore Fall Series #8
Buccaneer Fall Series #8
I-20 Fall Series #8
Laser Fall Series #8
Lightning Fall Series #8
Multihull Fall Series #8
After two weeks of lousy weather we finally had a nice day for racing for PRSA Fall Series #7. PRO Farley Will and his crew did a great job in taking full advantage of a nice southerly breeze. After some great racing there was still enough daylight left for a fun BBQ.
Albacores Fall Series #7
Buccaneers Fall Series #7
I-20 Fall Series #7
Laser Fall Series #7
Lightning Fall Series #7
Multihull Fall Series #7