(This post is superseded by one posted October 7) Nabeel Alsalam is PRO, with RC provided by the Lightnings and others. Today’s long-range AccuWeather forecast for Sunday calls for times of clouds and sun, a high temperature of 67 degrees, and northeasterly winds at 8 MPH. Low tide will be at 9:14 AM and high tide at 2:32 PM. The river flow is below normal for this time of year, at 1770 CFS (gage height 2.8 ft) and the water is a seasonal 64 degrees. Round up crew, and come on down!
Jeff Storck had the unfortunate experience on October 4 of catching a strong gust as he was tacking, with his centerboard temporarily on the river bottom, and quickly found his boat capsized and his crew in the water. He was asked how he recovered; his story is listed below, along with the subsequent comments that were exchanged in the email dialog.
One point not made in the dialog is that if there is ever any possibility of a capsize, you must put on your PFDs before you leave the dock, and keep them on until after your return. Also, pay attention to the water temperature and be aware of the effects of hypothermia and how quickly it can slow down your mental processes — which is why it is very important, when the water is 64 degrees, as it was yesterday, to have crash boats on the race course when capsizes are possible — to rescue CREW — not boats.
(As of Monday, 10/5/09) Yates Dowell was PRO, with RC provided by the Cats. The brisk, refreshing days of October have arrived, promising dry sunny days and good winds. The AccuWeather forecast (always subject to change) called for mostly sunny skies, winds from the NW at 8 – 14 MPH, and a high temperature of 74 degrees. The river flow was slightly below normal for this time of year, at 2,070 CFS (gage height 2.8 ft), and the water had cooled to 64 degrees. High tide was at 8:59 AM and low tide at 3:23 PM. Gusts to 25 from 10 AM to 1 PM made for challenging conditions, causing multiple boats to capsize, and sending some competitors back to the dock early.
What a beautiful day it turned out to be last Sunday, although as my crew will tell you “I hate Westy’s!” 🙂 The RC set up a long (or maybe I should say wide) Triangle course that made it a real tactical choice for the Lightnings on whether to try and carry the kite on the very tight reach legs. It also made for some interesting reach-to-reach jibes at the jibe mark. As usual when we get a westy (Did I mention I hate Westy’s!) crew work was at a premium. Frank Gallagher was very consistant in winning the day for the Lightnings, while Steve Parsons took the honors for the Albacores. On a side note, it was great to see Khin & Thant on their beautiful new Albacore fresh in from England. Click the “Read More” to see the scores:
(This post is superseded by one added on October 1) Yates Dowell is PRO, with RC provided by the Cats. The brisk, refreshing days of October are around the corner, promising dry sunny days and good winds. Today’s AccuWeather long-range forecast (always subject to change) for Sunday calls for partly sunny skies, winds from the northwest at 10 MPH, and a high temperature of 73 degrees. The river flow is near normal for this time of year, at 1,850 CFS (gage height 2.8 ft). High tide will be at 8:59 AM and low tide at 3:23 PM. Round up crew, and come on down!
(Posted 9/28/09) David Thompson was PRO, with RC provided by Lightnings. The AccuWeather forecast (always subject to change) called for cloudy skies in the morning, clearing in the afternoon, with a possible morning shower, and a high temperature of 76 degrees. Winds were forecasted to be from the west at 8 – 12 MPH, with higher gusts. Low tide was at 10:21 AM and high tide at 4:06 PM. The river flow was currently near normal for this time of year, at 2,120 CFS (gage height 2.9 ft) and the water temperature had cooled to 69 degrees. 10 Lightnings came out, along with 5 Albacores, on a mostly sunny day with westerly winds 6 – 10 MPH. RC set a triangular course with the windward mark near the airport’s radar tower (the one on stilts) and the leeward mark to the east, at the edge of the navigable channel, and started the first race promptly at 11:30. Winds did change direction and intensity over the course of the afternoon, fading to almost nothing at the end of the third race, before David decided to call it a day and head home. We had most boats put away by 4 PM when an intense, but short rain squall hit, soaking all those who were still securing their craft. Scores to be posted soon.
Canadians report day 3
THIS POST HAS BEEN SUPERCEDED BY ONE ON 9/27 ! David Thompson is PRO, with RC provided by Lightnings and others. Today’s AccuWeather long-range forecast (always subject to change) for Sunday calls for partly cloudy and breezy conditions with a possible morning shower, and a high temperature of 78 degrees. Winds are forecasted to be from the WSW at 15 MPH, with higher gusts. Low tide will be at 10:21 AM and high tide at 4:06 PM. The river flow is currently well below normal for this time of year, at 1,230 CFS (gage height 2.6 ft) and the water temperature has warmed back up to 77 degrees. Round up crew, and come on down!
A picture is worth a thousand words…
Photo courtesy of Keith Strasser.
What a great day on the water Sunday. 9 Lightnings, 8 Albacores, 1 Hobie, and 1 Laser came out to play on a beautiful sunny afternoon. We decided to sail the lower course because the breeze was looking pretty iffy at the Skippers meeting. As it turned out, we could easily have gone up to the upper course as we had nice 5-7 kt breezes that started out of the SE and slowly shifted around to SSW. The RC headed up by Jeff Storck got 4 races in before it got too shallow to continue and calling it a day. Congratulations to the days’ winners – Albacore Skipper Daphne Byron, and Lightning Skipper Rick Welch. Follow the “Read More” link to see the scores: