Our PRSA Spring Series starts on Sunday, April 11! Please make sure you’ve read through the following information and completed the necessary steps so that you are ready to get out on the water as our PRSA Spring Series starts.
- Sign the 2021 PRSA COVID-19 Acknowledgement of Risk & Waiver: https://forms.gle/xKAAkXm7gh7xZanB6. Although things are looking better, we are still in the midst of a COVID-19 pandemic and some areas (including some places in our own area) are seeing upticks in cases and community spread. All participance’s — competitors and RC members — are required to sign this waiver in order to participate in PRSA Activities. You must sign the new 2021 waiver (the prior waiver for fall 2020 and 2020-2021 frostbite racing is no longer applicable).
- Take note of a new federal requirement: effective April 1 a new federal law passed as part of the National Defense Authorization Act (which included a U.S. Coast Guard Reauthorization) requires a vessel operator to use either a helm or outboard lanyard or wireless engine cutoff switches (ECOS) when operating power boats under 26 feet in length. Please make sure to clip the cutoff lanyard to your life jacket when operating our skiffs.
As always, please feel free to reach out to your PRSA Executive Committee if you have any questions.
The Capital City Laser Regatta website is up and running! March 27 & 28 is our annual 2 day laser regatta, the link is below for those that want to sign up and race.
The AGM will be Saturday November 14th, 3:00 pm at the Washington Sailing Marina.
We chose to hold the event outside so we can social distance. The 3PM “happy hour” start time allows 2 hours before sunset (approximately 5 PM); we’ll have the AGM first, then a general socially-distant hang out.
There is no ticket cost for the event. We’ll provide single-serving snacks, please bring your own beverage(s). Please wear a mask when you’re within 6 feet of others and be generally respectful of distancing requirements.
Given that the event is weather-dependent, we’ve scheduled a backup date of November 21.
We’re hoping you’ll join us for some safe, socially-distant socializing.
Finally, head over to the results
page to see the fall series season winners!
PRSA has plans to sail this fall! We are scaling back our usual fall series as we anticipate limited RC and Mark Boat crew availability. We will be looking to have RC and the Mark Boat crewed with members of the same household or social bubble. There will also be other practices we put in place due to covid-19.
Fall Series 1 – Sunday September 13th
Presidents Cup Regatta – Saturday September 19th
Fall Series 2 – Sunday September 27th
Fall Series 3 – Sunday October 4th
Fall Series 4 Distance Race – Sunday October 11th
Fall Series 5 – Sunday October 18th
Series Dates for 6, 7, and 8 have been kept on the schedule in case we have any weather cancellations or other changes to the schedule. Lastly we are keeping in mind that things can change depending on how the pandemic changes.
It was fantastic to enjoy some food and merriment with so many of our sailors at the 2019 PRSA Annual General Meeting and Awards Banquet. Please find below links to the material presented during the meeting. Congratulations to our perpetual awards winners (listed below) and to our new PRSA Executive Committee (listed below). Many thanks to our outgoing officers for their hard work and for their service to PRSA.
2019 PRSA Perpetual Awards
- Founder’s Trophy: Yates Dowell
- Fleet Captain’s Award: Aaron Boesenecker
- Nabeel Alsalam Award: Michael McConnell
- Yates Dowell III Award: Angie Darrah
- Katherine Kearst Award: Daphne Byron
- Len Penso Award: Barney Harris
- Norman C. Shaller Award: David Beckett
2020 PRSA Executive Committee
- Commodore: Tom Hutton
- Vice Commodore: Stew Harris
- Rear Commodore: Aaron Boesenecker
- Secretary: Kyra Tallon
- Treasurer: Jeff Neurauter
2019 AGM Presentation Slides
2019 PRSA Racing Award Winners
Great weather two weeks in a row at the end of the fall series is virtually unheard of on the Potomac, but that is what we had for the final fall series race day of 2019! PRO Frank Gallagher and his RC crew got us 3 nice races in a moderate southerly. Temps in the mid-50s meant that it wasn’t too chilly to stick around for a post-race BBQ and beer. What a great way to wrap up the season!
Albacore Fall Series #8
Buccaneer Fall Series #8
I-20 Fall Series #8
Laser Fall Series #8
Lightning Fall Series #8
Multihull Fall Series #8
After two weeks of lousy weather we finally had a nice day for racing for PRSA Fall Series #7. PRO Farley Will and his crew did a great job in taking full advantage of a nice southerly breeze. After some great racing there was still enough daylight left for a fun BBQ.
Albacores Fall Series #7
Buccaneers Fall Series #7
I-20 Fall Series #7
Laser Fall Series #7
Lightning Fall Series #7
Multihull Fall Series #7
Our PRSA Annual General Meeting and Awards Banquet will be held on Saturday, November 16, at the Evening Star Cafe’s No. 9 Lounge (2000 Mount Vernon Ave, Alexandria VA, 22301). In addition to the regular business of the AGM (including officer reports, awards, and election of officers) we will also consider an amendment to the PRSA Bylaws (see language below). Additional AGM details will be posted soon.
Proposed Amendment to PRSA Bylaws to Article III. Section 3. Part B.3.
The current language reads:
3.A late payment fee of $25 will be assessed for returning members paying dues on or after January 15.
The proposed language is (changes in bold italics):
3.A late payment fee of $25 will be assessed for returning active members paying dues on or after January 15.
Please note that active membership is specifically defined in Article III. Section 1. Part A.