It was fantastic to enjoy some food and merriment with so many of our sailors at the 2019 PRSA Annual General Meeting and Awards Banquet. Please find below links to the material presented during the meeting. Congratulations to our perpetual awards winners (listed below) and to our new PRSA Executive Committee (listed below). Many thanks to our outgoing officers for their hard work and for their service to PRSA.
2019 PRSA Perpetual Awards
- Founder’s Trophy: Yates Dowell
- Fleet Captain’s Award: Aaron Boesenecker
- Nabeel Alsalam Award: Michael McConnell
- Yates Dowell III Award: Angie Darrah
- Katherine Kearst Award: Daphne Byron
- Len Penso Award: Barney Harris
- Norman C. Shaller Award: David Beckett
2020 PRSA Executive Committee
- Commodore: Tom Hutton
- Vice Commodore: Stew Harris
- Rear Commodore: Aaron Boesenecker
- Secretary: Kyra Tallon
- Treasurer: Jeff Neurauter
We had some fantastic photos taken by Lindsay Bach and by Tom Sliter at the 2019 PRSA President’s Cup / DC Sail Cantina Cup Regatta. Here are the links (you can also find these and other photo links in the “Gallery” area of the PRSA website). Enjoy!
The 2019 PRSA President’s Cup Regatta will be held September 14 & 15 in conjunction with the DC Sail Cantina Cup. We are excited to continue the long tradition of competitive one-design racing that started with the President’s Cup in 1934 as we also partner with our great community sailing partner, DC Sail. Prizes will be awarded for Saturday finishes (Cantina Cup) as well as combined Saturday & Sunday finishes (PRSA President’s Cup). Don’t miss your chance for two days of top-notch one design racing on the Potomac River. Visit the regatta website to register and download the NOR!
PRSA Sailors — this weekend we take a break from our regularly scheduled fleet racing of the fall series for our dinghy open. The NOR and SIs are posted at http://potomacriversailing.org/nors-sis/ The basics are the same, 10 am skipper’s meeting, 11:30 first warning, and après-sail pot-luck cook out, but this week you get to pit your skills and tactics against sailors in the other fleets!
We had a good turnout for the 2018 PRSA President’s Cup Regatta, fantastic racing weather all weekend, and a packed spectator boat on Sunday. It was especially nice to see some new faces on varius boats, including Emily sailing with with the Lanes on As You Wish, Bryanna who joined David Beckett on a Flying Scot, and Andrew who stepped in to sail with Aaron on Saturday before going back to his regular ride with long-time PRSA and Fleet 50 member Joe Warren on Joe’s new Flying Scot on Sunday. What a great regatta! Many thanks to PRO Jim Graham (upper course) and PRO Will Phillppe (lower course) and their RC crews for all of the work that they did to get us lots of racing. Results are posted here. Stay tuned for links to photos and more!
The 2018 PRSA President’s Cup Regatta will be held September 15 & 16 at Washington Sailing Marina, continuing the long tradition of competitive one-design racing started by the President’s Cup in 1934. The regatta will be sailed on the Potomac River on two courses. Visit the regatta website to view the NOR and register for the 2018 President’s Cup! Registration fees increase after September 10, so make sure to register and pay online before September 10 to save yourself a bit of cash. We will once again offer a spectator cruise aboard the historic schooner American Spirit on Sunday, so be sure to tell your friends and family!
Thanks to our regatta sponsor, Annapolis Performance Sailing, and to DC Sail for the partnership that allows us to offer a spectator cruise aboard the American Spirit!
We had two fantastic days of racing for the PRSA Spring Regatta, with PRO Nabeel Alsalam and his crew getting us 5 races on Saturday and 3 more on Sunday. 37 boats in 5 classes came out for the fun and we all enjoyed spectacular sailing conditions with sunny skies, flat water, and moderate southerly breezes. Results are posted here and you should feel free to add your comments below!
We are just a few weeks away from the start of the PRSA Spring Series! Make sure that you have reviewed the NOR and SIs for our Spring Series. Now is also the time to sign up for Race Committee for the season. Please make sure to read the details below, and then sign up on our PRSA RC Duty Signup Sheet. Here are the details and requirements for the 2108 Spring/Fall racing season:
- Each skipper racing in the spring or fall series is required to fulfill RC service obligations in the spring/fall series. The number of slots each skipper is responsible for filling depends upon the boat class:
- Albacores: 4 RC slots over the spring/fall series
- Buccaneers: 4 RC slots over the spring/fall series
- Catamarans: 4 RC slots over the spring/fall series
- I-20s: 4 RC slots over the spring/fall series
- Lightnings: 6 RC slots over the spring/fall series
- WETA/Laser (single-person boat): 2 RC slots over the spring/fall series
- Serving as PRO or Regatta Chair (rows highlighted in orange on the spreadsheet) count as two slots given the extra organizational responsibility for these roles.
- Detailed RC & boat instructions are posted to our PRSA website: http://potomacriversailing.org/dues-rc-duty/
- As we get into the season I will send out a reminder and some additional instructions to each PRO a few days prior to the weekend/event for which they are signed up.
Sign up now so that you know you have your dates reserved, and so that we don’t have to scramble week-to-week to find RC. As always, please don’t hesitate to let me know if you have any questions.