Here are a few AGM details:
- $35 per person (cash, check or PayPal); no charge for children 10 and under.
- Fantastic food from Lebanese Taverna followed by Melissa’s famous cookie bar dessert
- 2 drinks per person courtesy of PRSA; non-alcoholic beverages are also available (please note: no outside beverages).
- Officer Reports
- Awards: racing awards, perpetual awards, and a few special recognitions
- Election of Officers
- New business/discussion
We’ve also added in a couple of fun items this year, stemming from our used sail upcycling effort through Sea Bags, which got us a selection of tool bags and tote bags made from parts of the sails that were upcycled (see photos, below):
- 1 drawing for a PRSA tote bag. Any member who donated to the PRSA Commodore’s Club is eligible and will automatically be entered.
- Silent auction for 1 PRSA tool bag and 1 PRSA tote bag.
And there is more fun news to share! Thanks to Melissa’s hard work, PRSA has established a merchandise option with Lands’ End so that you can order Lands’ End merchandise with the PRSA logo embroidered on it! Here’s how:
- Navigate to – Homepage (landsend.com)
- From there pick out any item you would like to have the PRSA logo embroidered on. (Please note some items require a minimum purchase amount).
- Pick the color and size of the item you wish to purchase.
- Hit the Apply Logo button on the bottom left hand side of the website
- The Lands’ End website will allow you customize the logo and the location of the logo. (As of right now we only have one Logo but in the future we will add iterations of logos that will highlight classes and items that will present well on different fabrics and colors).
- Add the item to your cart. The price for the embroidery will be reflected there.
- If you have questions or run into problems, you contact Lands’ End: Contact Us | Lands’ End Business Uniforms (landsend.com) or 1-800-587-1541
A more detailed agenda and set of notes will be provided at the AGM. I look forward to seeing you all there!
With many thanks to those who submitted nominations for our PRSA awards, the ballot to vote for award recipients is now open! Please vote here: https://forms.gle/x11B8mENtnQSKSFy8
The awardees will be announced at the 2023 Annual General Meeting (Nov. 18, 1-4 pm, at Port City Brewing in Alexandria, VA).
One vote per member. Please vote for one candidate only for each award. If you wish to write-in a name, please use the “Other” option. To view the nominating statements that were submitted in support of various nominees, please click here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BB8TN5rB1F1rZYyc69rZaW-qCqqOdeGxhxOLRJ_QZRM/edit?usp=sharing
. This ballot will close at the end of the day (11:59 pm) on Sunday, November 5.
This ballot is for the following awards (note that the Fleet Captain’s Award for exceptional RC duty is an award selected by the Fleet Captains; the award recipient will also be announced at the 2023 AGM):
- Founder’s Trophy: Promotion of PRSA in general; the highest recognition for service to PRSA.
- More Boats on the Water Trophy: Awarded for exceptional efforts leading to more boats racing through such activities as providing encouragement to timid sailors, helping get an old boat race-ready, creating a snow-ball by getting getting a critical mass of sailors to commit to racing, and so forth. Informally to be called the “More Boats on the Water” award.
- Yates Dowell III Award: Awarded for exceptional administrative service to PRSA
Please make sure that you have Nov. 18, 1-4pm on your calendar for our AGM. Additional details will be sent out soon!
Save the date! The 2023 PRSA Annual General Meeting (AGM) will be held on November 18, 1-4 pm, at Port City Brewing Company (3950 Wheeler Ave, Alexandria VA).
Information on pricing/tickets, an RSVP form, and more details will be posted soon!
Hello PRSA Sailors,
With sincere apologies for the delay, we have updated the “Results” page with the Provisional Spring Series results (final results will factor in RC Service and will be shared at the AGM) along with links to the Fall Series scoring posts. (NB: we have received scores for Fall Series #2 but those are still being input and will be posted soon). We, of course, would have liked to have had these posted earlier but some calculation complications and a file format issue (still not fully resolved) got in the way. We’re working on these things!
Many thanks to Nabeel for serving as scorer (in addition to his regular and required PRSA ExCom Treasurer duties), to Tyler for the final proof and “true-up” (corrections based on RC service, participation, etc.) and John Van Voorhis for volunteering some time to also help troubleshoot the difficulties we encountered.
I look forward to seeing everybody at our PRSA Annual General Meeting on Nov. 18 at Port City Brewing in Alexandria, VA (RSVP form and additional info coming soon!), where we will announce the final results of the PRSA Spring Series, PRSA Fall Series, PRSA perpetual trophy winners, PRSA service award winners, and more!
Updated 29 May: we had a great weekend of racing, with all classes getting 9 or 10 races in a shifty and variable easterly. Results are posted here: https://www.regattanetwork.com/event/26050#_newsroom and we have some fantastic photos from Lindsay Bach (from the mark boat) posted here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/mS7iMjrp9u6yJ3to8
Register now for the PRSA Spring Regatta (May 27-28) and enjoy two days of racing on the Potomac River with the monuments and Capitol as a backdrop. Head to the Regatta Network site – https://www.regattanetwork.com/event/26050 – to register and to view the NOR. Additional regatta information will be posted on the Regatta Network site.
The Friday Night Capitol Riverfront Concert Series is kicking off on June 10th, this Friday! It’s a free concert on Friday nights at The Yards Park; which is on the Anacostia near Nationals Stadium. The concerts start at 7:00 pm and the first band playing is La Uncia who play Irish Latin Rock. There are more details about the bands and concert if you follow the link below.
The Yards Park is about a 45 minute sail from WSM, give or take the wind levels. The plan would be to leave the docks around 6:15pm to give time to sail over and listen to the first half of the concert. On June 10th the sun sets at 8:32 pm and nautical twilight until 9:44 pm. Leaving after the first half should give enough time to sail back to the marina with plenty of light.
Boats under 7 meters (23 feet) are required to “keep ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern (flashlight) that shows a white light”. So skippers should keep this in mind and bring a flashlight just in case getting back takes longer than planned. It’s also suggested to bring an anchor, as there may be other boaters and being able to stop and listen is helpful.
Our PRSA Spring Series starts on Sunday, April 11! Please make sure you’ve read through the following information and completed the necessary steps so that you are ready to get out on the water as our PRSA Spring Series starts.
- Sign the 2021 PRSA COVID-19 Acknowledgement of Risk & Waiver: https://forms.gle/xKAAkXm7gh7xZanB6. Although things are looking better, we are still in the midst of a COVID-19 pandemic and some areas (including some places in our own area) are seeing upticks in cases and community spread. All participance’s — competitors and RC members — are required to sign this waiver in order to participate in PRSA Activities. You must sign the new 2021 waiver (the prior waiver for fall 2020 and 2020-2021 frostbite racing is no longer applicable).
- Take note of a new federal requirement: effective April 1 a new federal law passed as part of the National Defense Authorization Act (which included a U.S. Coast Guard Reauthorization) requires a vessel operator to use either a helm or outboard lanyard or wireless engine cutoff switches (ECOS) when operating power boats under 26 feet in length. Please make sure to clip the cutoff lanyard to your life jacket when operating our skiffs.
As always, please feel free to reach out to your PRSA Executive Committee if you have any questions.
Our PRSA Annual General Meeting and Awards Banquet will be held on Saturday, November 16, at the Evening Star Cafe’s No. 9 Lounge (2000 Mount Vernon Ave, Alexandria VA, 22301). In addition to the regular business of the AGM (including officer reports, awards, and election of officers) we will also consider an amendment to the PRSA Bylaws (see language below). Additional AGM details will be posted soon.
Proposed Amendment to PRSA Bylaws to Article III. Section 3. Part B.3.
The current language reads:
3.A late payment fee of $25 will be assessed for returning members paying dues on or after January 15.
The proposed language is (changes in bold italics):
3.A late payment fee of $25 will be assessed for returning active members paying dues on or after January 15.
Please note that active membership is specifically defined in Article III. Section 1. Part A.
The conditions were a bit all of the place on Sunday, with an easterly breeze that swung as far south as due south and as far north as due north, with times in between when it would shut off altogether. Depending upon the shifts, you could enter a mark rounding first and come out last (or vice-versa), or pick up (or lose) the whole fleet on one shift. Nonetheless, PRO Farley Will and his RC crew did a good job getting us four races in some sunny conditions before we all headed back to shore to enjoy beverages and a BBQ. It could have been far worse for a late fall afternoon of racing! Scores are posted below, and you can see some great photos from Lindsay Bach here.
Albacore Fall 7
Buccaneer Fall 7
I-20 Fall 7
Lightning Fall 7
Multihull Fall 7