Here are a few AGM details:
- $35 per person (cash, check or PayPal); no charge for children 10 and under.
- Fantastic food from Lebanese Taverna followed by Melissa’s famous cookie bar dessert
- 2 drinks per person courtesy of PRSA; non-alcoholic beverages are also available (please note: no outside beverages).
- Officer Reports
- Awards: racing awards, perpetual awards, and a few special recognitions
- Election of Officers
- New business/discussion
We’ve also added in a couple of fun items this year, stemming from our used sail upcycling effort through Sea Bags, which got us a selection of tool bags and tote bags made from parts of the sails that were upcycled (see photos, below):
- 1 drawing for a PRSA tote bag. Any member who donated to the PRSA Commodore’s Club is eligible and will automatically be entered.
- Silent auction for 1 PRSA tool bag and 1 PRSA tote bag.
And there is more fun news to share! Thanks to Melissa’s hard work, PRSA has established a merchandise option with Lands’ End so that you can order Lands’ End merchandise with the PRSA logo embroidered on it! Here’s how:
- Navigate to – Homepage (landsend.com)
- From there pick out any item you would like to have the PRSA logo embroidered on. (Please note some items require a minimum purchase amount).
- Pick the color and size of the item you wish to purchase.
- Hit the Apply Logo button on the bottom left hand side of the website
- The Lands’ End website will allow you customize the logo and the location of the logo. (As of right now we only have one Logo but in the future we will add iterations of logos that will highlight classes and items that will present well on different fabrics and colors).
- Add the item to your cart. The price for the embroidery will be reflected there.
- If you have questions or run into problems, you contact Lands’ End: Contact Us | Lands’ End Business Uniforms (landsend.com) or 1-800-587-1541
A more detailed agenda and set of notes will be provided at the AGM. I look forward to seeing you all there!
With many thanks to those who submitted nominations for our PRSA awards, the ballot to vote for award recipients is now open! Please vote here: https://forms.gle/x11B8mENtnQSKSFy8
The awardees will be announced at the 2023 Annual General Meeting (Nov. 18, 1-4 pm, at Port City Brewing in Alexandria, VA).
One vote per member. Please vote for one candidate only for each award. If you wish to write-in a name, please use the “Other” option. To view the nominating statements that were submitted in support of various nominees, please click here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BB8TN5rB1F1rZYyc69rZaW-qCqqOdeGxhxOLRJ_QZRM/edit?usp=sharing
. This ballot will close at the end of the day (11:59 pm) on Sunday, November 5.
This ballot is for the following awards (note that the Fleet Captain’s Award for exceptional RC duty is an award selected by the Fleet Captains; the award recipient will also be announced at the 2023 AGM):
- Founder’s Trophy: Promotion of PRSA in general; the highest recognition for service to PRSA.
- More Boats on the Water Trophy: Awarded for exceptional efforts leading to more boats racing through such activities as providing encouragement to timid sailors, helping get an old boat race-ready, creating a snow-ball by getting getting a critical mass of sailors to commit to racing, and so forth. Informally to be called the “More Boats on the Water” award.
- Yates Dowell III Award: Awarded for exceptional administrative service to PRSA
Please make sure that you have Nov. 18, 1-4pm on your calendar for our AGM. Additional details will be sent out soon!
Save the date! The 2023 PRSA Annual General Meeting (AGM) will be held on November 18, 1-4 pm, at Port City Brewing Company (3950 Wheeler Ave, Alexandria VA).
Information on pricing/tickets, an RSVP form, and more details will be posted soon!
Join the Potomac River Sailing Association to race in the largest one-design regatta on the Potomac with the National Capitol and monuments as a backdrop, and to carry on the tradition of competitive one-design racing that started with the 1934 President’s Cup! All one-design classes 20 feet or under are invited.
Visit the Regatta Network Site for the NOR and Registration Links!
Updated 29 May: we had a great weekend of racing, with all classes getting 9 or 10 races in a shifty and variable easterly. Results are posted here: https://www.regattanetwork.com/event/26050#_newsroom and we have some fantastic photos from Lindsay Bach (from the mark boat) posted here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/mS7iMjrp9u6yJ3to8
Register now for the PRSA Spring Regatta (May 27-28) and enjoy two days of racing on the Potomac River with the monuments and Capitol as a backdrop. Head to the Regatta Network site – https://www.regattanetwork.com/event/26050 – to register and to view the NOR. Additional regatta information will be posted on the Regatta Network site.
Join the Potomac River Sailing Association to race in the largest one-design regatta on the Potomac with the National Capitol and monuments as a backdrop, and to carry on the tradition of competitive one-design racing that started with the 1934 President’s Cup! The 2021 PRSA President’s Cup Regatta will be held on September 18 & 19 at Washington Sailing Marina. Please visit the Regatta Website – https://www.regattanetwork.com/event/23128 – to view the NOR and register. All one-design classes 20 feet or under are invited.
This year we have a flat fee registration for each boat ($40 for regatta participation only). Please note that tickets for Saturday ‘s post-race BBQ are not included in the registration fee. BBQ tickets for Saturday evening for each person (skipper and crew, as well as any friends/family that might join you) must be purchased separately as part of your registration or via the “Online Storefront” area on the Regatta Network website. Please make sure to purchase BBQ tickets for your entire boat — skipper and crew — as well as any family/friends/visitors in advance so we can be sure to have sufficient food on hand!
Early registration ends on September 1, so register now to take advantage of the early registration discount and to let us know that you’ll be coming!
On June 26 DISC will be holding a “Three Bridges Fiasco” race on the Potomac & Anacostia. All PRSA boats/classes are invited. The race will take you to government marks near each of the 3 bridges that we can sail to, in any order of your choosing, after starting at Red N6 (in the river just north of Old Town Alexandria). The race will be scored using Portsmouth Yardstick Scoring.
Per the NOR and SIs, please contact DISC Officers via email@example.com with any questions about DISC racing or these Race Instructions.
Our PRSA Spring Series starts on Sunday, April 11! Please make sure you’ve read through the following information and completed the necessary steps so that you are ready to get out on the water as our PRSA Spring Series starts.
- Sign the 2021 PRSA COVID-19 Acknowledgement of Risk & Waiver: https://forms.gle/xKAAkXm7gh7xZanB6. Although things are looking better, we are still in the midst of a COVID-19 pandemic and some areas (including some places in our own area) are seeing upticks in cases and community spread. All participance’s — competitors and RC members — are required to sign this waiver in order to participate in PRSA Activities. You must sign the new 2021 waiver (the prior waiver for fall 2020 and 2020-2021 frostbite racing is no longer applicable).
- Take note of a new federal requirement: effective April 1 a new federal law passed as part of the National Defense Authorization Act (which included a U.S. Coast Guard Reauthorization) requires a vessel operator to use either a helm or outboard lanyard or wireless engine cutoff switches (ECOS) when operating power boats under 26 feet in length. Please make sure to clip the cutoff lanyard to your life jacket when operating our skiffs.
As always, please feel free to reach out to your PRSA Executive Committee if you have any questions.
Thanks to PRO Jim Graham and his crew for running races! Here are the Fall Series #3 results: